Saturday, September 19, 2009

Samsung UN40B6000 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz - Reviews

9 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Stuning Picture, July 20, 2009
By Rod (El Paso, TX) - See all my reviews
*UPDATED*

Well I purchased this two weeks ago from Best Buy and I have enjoyed it since then. I have now a better understanding to write a better review.

I like it's ultra slim design and its light weight. I didn't needed more help than little help from my wife to carry the whole package to the second floor. I did it alone to carry off of my minivan and I'm not a wrestler. I did assembled the stand in a few minutes very easily.

This is my first HDTV. I have been following HDTV technology for years but was until now that I was able to purchase it. I have watched a lot of TV's since 5 years ago in every store display with every combination of inputs and I think I can notice when a movie is Blue Ray connected through HDMI or composite video to when a TV set is connected trough other Video inputs and video sources (DVD).

I have my set connected to a Samsung BDP3600 Blue Ray, however I have not purchased any Blue Ray movie yet so I tested with a couple of DVDs and the image is excellent. I can't tell if is the TV or the BDP3600, but I see it like a Blue Ray movie. I can't wait to play a blue ray movie on my set. DVD's look gorgeous. *UPDATE: Computer Animated DVD's look gorgeous. I tried Harry Potter DVD and it is not the same video quality as Shrek II. Blue Ray movies seems very nice as expected, darker scenes seems grainy, I believe that is the ISO sensitivity of the film not an issue of the Blue Ray. If that is true new movies are going to be shotted with HDTV or higher area film, if I'm not wrong, most movies are 35mm film.

HDTV over the air (1080i) looks very nice and is pretty quick to change from HDTV channel to HDTV channel. I have satellite broadcast, however it does not offer HDTV signals :(.

*UPDATE. I have plug ed my USB thumb drive with a racing .mkv file and I was amazed of the quality of video I saw in this highly compressed file (3hrs in a 1.1GB file). All the scenes look very nice with vivid colors and very detailed even the fast moving scenes from on board cameras.

*UPDATE. I would have expected to read my Ethernet disk drive to play this videos, but is not able to connect a network shared drive. The blue ray player is able to do it, however is not able to play .mkv files. So I need to copy them to my thumb drive and play them directly on the TV.

*UPDATE. Infolink is good, but you are not able to select cities from other countries for weather update.

Unless other reviewers say not, mine has buttons, they are touch sensors discrete icons in front of the TV i.e. power button is beneath the SAMSUNG logo.

PROS:
- Excellent Picture
- Slim Design
- Light Weight
- Stylish Design
- Discrete Buttons (some owners might have not notice them)
*UPDATE - Ability to play a lot of audio and video formats including .mkv, video files.

CONS:
The only thing that I have discovered is that Picture in Picture can only be done with an HDMI input and Air. I have not been able to have PIP with Air and the analog A/V input from my satellite nor the satellite with the HDMI input. I have not installed the Ethernet and might a firmware upgrade solve this.

*** UPDATE ***
I did connect the set to my Ethernet, firmware upgrade was done and it didn't solve the PIP issue. There is also no way to swap the images of PIP. Not too much of a concern for me.

I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment